Powered by WPeMatico
One of my most read series of posts is my somewhat yearly list of New Year’s development goals for leaders. I don’t go back and check previous years, so there may be duplicates, as there should be. Things like “striving to be a better listener” come up each year as I work with leaders from around the world.
In my coaching practice, I usually start with a 360-degree assessment and use that as to help leaders identify and choose their development goals. That’s the ideal way, especially for behavioral goals, where leaders usually are not aware of how they are coming across to those around them (“blind spots”) and are feedback starved.
However, there do seem to be leadership gaps that come up more frequently than others, and that’s what I base my yearly lists on.
If you can get feedback from others, good for you (see #2)! Even without doing a more formal diagnosis, it’s a safe bet that a few of the development goals listed below will help you become a better leader.
Note that some may sound like just common sense and easy, but they are anything but. Changing habits is hard work, so I’d suggest starting with even one, and then working at it for at least 3 months, then move on to another.
I’ve included links to a few of my favorite articles, books and videos. For full disclosure, I do get a small cut of any of the books you purchase on Amazon (thank-you!), but they are all books that I’d highly recommend.
1. Define my personal leadership vision:
– Google “what is leadership”, “leadership”, “qualities of a leader”, etc. and read at least 6 articles.
– Develop my own list of the characteristics that define the leader I want to become.
– Refine the list into a single paragraph, share it with others, and refine further.
– Start working on becoming that leader!
2. Get more feedback:
· –Take a formal 360 leadership assessment.
· – Find other ways to get informal feedback on a regular basis.
· – When I get feedback, I’ll keep my mouth shut and say “thank-you”.
3. Ask more questions and listen more (OK, I cheated, this is two related goals…):
4. Commit to “letting go” (and be less of a micromanager):
· – Meet with each of my direct reports and ask (questions from Marshall Goldsmith):
1. “Are there areas of your work where I am too involved?”
2. “Are there areas of your work where I am not involved enough?”
5. Work more collaboratively with my peers:
· – Meet with each peer to learn more about their goals, share my goals, and ask how we can work together to help each other achieve our goals.
6. Interview three leadership “role models”:
· – Pick one aspect of leadership I want to get better at.
· – Identify three people I know who I think are good at it.
· – Meet with all three to learn what they do and how they do it.
· – Send thank-you notes. (-:
7. Become a better coach to my employees:
· – Learn about manager coaching (book, course, etc.).
· – See #3 “asking more questions and listening”.
· – Begin helping my employees solve their own problems (instead of me providing the answer).
8. Be more proactive and willing to tackle conflict:
· – Select at least one tough conversation that I’ve been avoiding and apply the skills from the book.
– Improve my ability to see the big picture and take a longer range, broader business perspective.
– Learn to step back from the day-to-day tactical details of my business and focus on the “why”, not just the “what” and “how.”
– Learn to speak the “language” of strategy and apply these concepts to leading my organization.
Want some help with any of these? For you or for your organization’s leaders? Contact me (firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss doing a 360 degree leadership assessment, leadership coaching, consulting or training.
Boldog újévet kivanok 2019 Bonne année 2019 Buon Anno 2019 Business Books Business Books Magazines and Newspaper Subscriptions Business Management Articles Chúc mừng năm mới 2019 Feliz Ano Novo 2019 Feliz año nuevo 2019 Feliç any nou 2019 Frohes neues Jahr 2019 Gelukkig Nieuwjaar 2019 Gerencia Godt Nytt år 2019 Godt Nytår 2019 Guaripete Solutions Happy New Year 2019 HR Management Human Resources Hyvää uutta vuotta 2019 Juan Rodulfo Books Leadership and HR Management Updated Articles Leadership Trending Libros de Juan Rodulfo Liderazgo Magazines Management Tips Management Trending Marketing Articles Marketing Trending Mercadeo Mercadeo y Gerencia Newspaper Subscriptions Rodulfox Sretna nova godina 2019 Szczęśliwego Nowego Roku 2019 З Новым годам 2019 З новим роком 2019 С новым годом 2019 हैप्पी न्यू ईयर 2019 สวัสดีปีใหม่ 2019 新年快乐2019年 새해 복 많이 받기 2019